10.08.2012

The Little Things


People always say that, in the grand scheme of everything in life, it's the little things that matter the most. Everyone gets caught up in "life goals" and ultimate destinations or deadlines, profits and spreadsheets, but when you manage to get a break from all the day-to-day chaos, you can actually see pretty clearly what is most precious to you.  You just have to remind yourself to pause every so often and relish in the moment.  Breathe deeply and temporarily erase all the little worries eating away at your mind and soul.  I know I sound like a weirdo, but this time of year always brings this out in me.  The temperatures finally start to cool down, I can wear my tights and my boots and walk outside without being immediately drenched in sweat.  I'm reminded that it can actually feel nice outside in Texas, if only for a short while.

Needless to say, I had a great two days off.  After work on Saturday I met up with my Dad, Rebecca and a couple of their friends at Red's Porch for a late lunch before they headed over to the UT football game.  It was nice to catch up and visit with them if only for a brief time.  I also spoke with my aunt who informed me that Nana has decided she no longer feels comfortable living alone, so the plan is for her to sell her car and her house and rotate living with each of her four daughters in three-month increments for as long as she's able.  It's sad to see her lose her independence and suffer from so much anxiety over her health, but I know she's in wonderful hands.  She's still one of the strongest, most beautiful souls I have ever encountered, and she deserves to be taken care of in the best way possible.

Last night I made a delicious dinner of Paul Deen's honey & goat cheese chicken, au gratin potatoes, peas and crescent rolls before Jason and I met up with our friend Amanda at Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter Lane to see LOOPER.  The movie was really great.  The story line was super captivating and intelligent.  I definitely recommend it.  I was a little disappointed with the service at Alamo however, and I hate to complain because I work in the service industry, but really?  How hard is it to make a mimosa?  Yes, I drink mimosas at night.  Shut it. So I ordered a water and a mimosa, and they gave me a Sprite and a champagne flute full of what tasted like 100% orange juice.  Oh and I later ordered a sangria that I never received.  I'm not closing the door on this location by any means.  I realize it's a new theater, and I'm sure they were swamped as it was a full theater.  I just hope our experience is better next time.

Today was pretty relaxing.  Jason and I both slept in, I did a bunch of laundry and we drove (windows down!) to End of an Ear to buy a replacement needle for our record player and each got a new record.  When we got home we caught up on last night's episode of Dexter.  The new season has actually been pretty entertaining so far.  For dinner, Jason made amber ale barbeque beef sandwiches and sweet potato tots while I squealed over the season six premiere of Gossip Girl.  Chuck + Blair 4 lyfe.

Twas a good couple of days indeed.  Now, it's back to work for both of us tomorrow...ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!
I appreciate any and all feedback from my readers.
xoxo