Bunnies, Eggs & Homesickness

Easter 1992
I promise I am going to get back into this whole blogging thing eventually.  Lately, I've just been feeling like if I'm not working, I'm too drained to do anything even the least bit productive (i.e. - blogging, exercising, running errands, etc).  All I want to do is watch TV, relax and sleep.  It's really annoying me because I've never considered myself to be a lazy person.  I like to keep busy most of the time.  I swear this job has just taken its heavy, troll-like toll on me and changed me in ways I never wanted to be changed.  I digress.  I'm still on the hunt for something better, and, as of now, I'm still hopeful.

Moving on to a better subject - my weekend was wonderful!  I got to go to Houston to spend time with my family which is, of course, one of my favorite ways to spend my time.  I cannot get over how close my mom and I have gotten since I graduated from high school.  Our relationship has always felt like just as much of a close friendship as a mother-daughter one, and I love that about us.  We have always had a really special connection that I haven't been able to match with anyone else.  It just gets harder and harder to leave her with each trip I make down there.  I was so so upset driving back on Sunday, and when I got home that night, to an empty apartment (Jason was at work), I was overcome with this dark sadness that I just couldn't shake.  Even when I woke up the next morning for work, I felt miserable and had to hold back the tears while getting ready.  It wasn't until a few hours into my work day that I finally started to feel better and get my emotions under control.  I can be such a sensitive sap sometimes.  It's quite silly.  (How'd you like that "S" alliteration?? NERD ALERT.)

Back to my weekend - I got into Mont Belvieu close to 2 p.m. on Friday and just lounged around my mom's apartment with her, Micah and Kaleb before she made pork chops, sweet potatoes and my favorite little peas for dinner.  After dinner me, my mom and Micah dyed and decorated Easter eggs which has to be one of my favorite family traditions!  It's always quite an experience with many laughs during the process.  The next day we decided to go to the Houston Zoo since I hadn't been in years, and that was so much fun!  We got to feed the giraffes, snapped some amazing pictures and got to see some of the newest additions to the zoo like the little baby sifaka (lemur) that was only a few weeks old.  Saturday night, I drove over to the west side of the city for my step-mom Rebecca's birthday dinner.  Easter Sunday was spent with more family over at Nana's house where we ate a delicious lunch of honey-baked ham, ranch potatoes, Aunt Jane's green beans, Uncle Steve's baked beans, rolls and banana pudding for dessert!  Sadly, Easter Sunday wasn't all fun and feasting.  We began the de-personalization of Nana's house so it can be readied for the housing market.  That beautiful barn-like house has been the beating heart of the Kitchen family for nearly 45 years.  It's hard to imagine it won't be a part of our lives anymore in the near future.  Someone else will invade it and create new memories inside of it.  So, so devastating for me to even think about.

Micah and her egg

At the Zoo after we fed the giraffes!

The baby Sifaka!

Happy Birthday, Rebecca!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!
I appreciate any and all feedback from my readers.