8.16.2012

A Much-Needed Update

I know, I know it's been a while.  I blame our apartment complex for making us move, Time Warner for not hooking up our cable/internet until yesterday and myself for procrastinating.  Now, that my pity party is over, let's talk about what I've been up to the past week and a half!

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but the reason we had to move was because our apartment would have been about $200 more each month if we would have re-signed our lease, and we absolutely cannot afford that right now so we opted to transfer to a different unit in the same complex.  It worked best for us because our deposits transfered, and we really only had to pay the pet fees again.  I was bummed about having to downsize as far as space and square footage go, but I actually prefer the new unit now that we're settled in.  Jason and I agree that it just feels more cozy and comfy and our stuff just fits better in a smaller space.  I also feel safer because we're on the backside of the building and therefore less likely to be robbed.  AND (don't make fun of me for this) our unit is raised up a little so looking out of the living room window, I kind of feel like I live in San Francisco because all of the houses there are elevated and you walk up stairs to get to the front door.  Just a little perk I suppose ;)

The moving process weighed heavy on my mind for a good month or two prior to the actual dreaded day of the move, but it was actually pretty great...not bad at all, minus the awful Texas heat.  And it went so smoothly all because of the amazing helpers we were blessed with - my mom, brother, sister and Aunt Delys.  My brother was especially crucial in assisting Jason move the larger furniture and appliances.  Poor guys had to manually dolly our bulky stacked washer and dryer from the old place to the new place.  They were serious champs that day.  Aside from the moving part of the weekend, it was so nice to get to spend some time with my family.  It had been about two months since i'd seen any of them so I was beyond thrilled.  Friday night we went up to the Texas State Capitol Building and even got to go inside and check it out at 9 p.m.  After exploring there, we went over to the UT campus and my mom gave us a tour of the places she used to "study" when she attended college there.  After that, I persuaded everyone to go to Rita's Ice Custard on the Drag.  I'd heard a lot about Rita's, but had never been, and I must say I was quite pleased.  Saturday, after the move, my family went to the pool and out to dinner while Jason and I stayed in and attempted to unpack mostly everything in the new place, and then when they got back from eating, we went to Amy's Ice Cream for an evening treat.  I was sad to see everybody go on Sunday, but hopefully I'll get to venture down to Houston in a few weeks for the annual Kousins' Kamp.

Aside from the move, we've watched some really good movies recently.  About a week ago we watched Chronicle about the teenage boys that find an unidentified object in the woods and develop super powers.  It was pretty entertaining for sure.  We also watched Splendor In The Grass which is probably one of my new favorite movies.  It's an oldie directed by the great Elia Kazan and stars Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty.  I loved it so much I'll most likely devote an entire post to it pretty soon.  Since we didn't have cable until yesterday, we started re-watching the DVDs of my favorite show, Six Feet Under.  So I'm getting wrapped up in that all over again!  I just love how many emotions it stirs up inside of my soul.  One minute I'm laughing my head off and the next minute and I'm bawling my eyes out.  It's insanely wonderful.

Well, I feel like I've dragged this on long enough for now.  I'll be back tomorrow with a flashback Friday post, and I'll try to do a Currently and/or weekend links over the next few days.

Below are some pictures from my busy week!

xoxo

sour cream chicken enchiladas I made a couple weeks ago

break time at work one day

a crazy car/plane I saw driving down I-35 - Keep Austin Weird, right?

our lives in boxes

Maeby helping us pack

a little bedtime reading

my brother and sister, Kaleb and Micah

Texas State Capitol Building

the Capitol dome

Kaleb way up at the top

Rita's Ice Custard Happiness

the three of us at Rita's

out in front of the Capitol building 

posing with Anne Richards

Delys, Kaleb and Micah eating at Chuy's

Pop's old belt buckle I used to wear in HS
Fozzie relaxing
precious kitties
best friends
bouffant hair
making mini peanut butter pies a couple of days ago

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!
I appreciate any and all feedback from my readers.
xoxo