6.11.2013

Music & Memories



As you should all know by now, music is a pretty important part of my life.  In fact, it's a huge piece of my day-to-day routine.  I am constantly singing whatever song is stuck in my head at work or something someone says reminds me of a song and so on.  I've been thinking about how crazy it is that a certain song can remind you of a specific time, place and/or person, and every single time you hear it you feel like you've been transported back in time to that very moment.  As I mentioned in my last post, I've been listening to a lot of Eve 6 and other late '90s - early '00s bands as of late, and it's been taking me back to high school little by little.  Obviously, everything wasn't perfect for me high school.  (Is it for anyone really??)  But I was surrounded by some wonderful people, and I was a part of some unforgettable experiences.  It was definitely an exciting time for me for many reasons, and it's really neat to be reminded of all of those new, uncharted feelings and emotions that consumed me during that time.

Listening to Eve 6 reminds me of being fourteen.  So unimaginably ecstatic that my dad was taking me to see Eve 6, Good Charlotte and Goldfinger at the Verizon Wireless Theater in downtown Houston.

"Swallow my doubt, turn it inside out, find nothing but faith in nothing. Wanna put my tender heart in a blender, watch it spin 'round to a beautiful oblivion.  Rendezvous now I'm through with you." 

Tegan and Sara, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, We Are Scientists, The Academy Is..., Saves The Day, Dashboard Confessional, The Blood Brothers, The Killers, Bright Eyes, Thursday, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, The Moldy Peaches, Action Action, Be Your Own Pet, She Wants Revenge, Gym Class Heroes, Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin and so many more take me back to when I got my first car and wanted to drive EVERYWHERE with my best friend Jessica.  We would belt out those songs like we were the only two people on the planet.

"I kissed a girl with a broken jaw that her father gave to her. She had eyes bright enough to burn me. They reminded me of yours."

I feel as if I could go on and on about the music that helped to build this person that I am today, but it would honestly be never-ending.  I love that I can listen to a song and be blinded by the beautiful, everlasting memory of something that was once so meaningful to me.  It's a comforting, yet overwhelming thought for me.  And to know that I'm only making new memories connected to new songs and artists that I fall in love with each and every day is just such a perfect gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!
I appreciate any and all feedback from my readers.
xoxo